PDA

View Full Version : Locum costs

KarenH
04-07-2006, 02:56 PM
our regular locum who has worked for us regularly over the last 3 years has retired. His usual costs for a days work were 325, plus travelling charges. I have been looking at agencies ( far too expensive) and some of the local locums are expecting payments that could top 500 for a days work, with prices for visits, extra hours seen consulting etc. is there an "average" locum cost that I could quote?:confused:

LizzieRogers
04-07-2006, 03:03 PM
medeconomics did a survey earlier this year and I think that the upshot was that locums were paid 350-450 approximately, as I recall.

Janeking
04-07-2006, 03:07 PM
the internet link is http://www.nasgp.org.uk/rates/medeconomics_jan_2006.pdf

on the second page is the survey,

helen harrison
04-07-2006, 06:59 PM
The locum charges we pay are between 75 and 85 per hour. There was something recently in one of the Doctors papers that gave locum rates which seemed to vary depending on the area.

John Ritchie
05-07-2006, 09:30 AM
It depends also on location, like everything else in this country. The Locum herself is also a factor - our regular one enjoys working with us and is undemanding when it comes to rates. Others [non-regular] invoice us their expected rate, which usually equates to the medeconomic rate plus travel.

Nick Keyte
06-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Whilst Locums are a necessary tool in some places. The charges some are making (espesially companies) are compleatly out of line with what the health economy finances primary care. I have a maximum ceiling of 400.00 per day to include visits etc if we ever use locums. I also try for to encourage other practices to try and stick to an agreed level, to stop excessive charges, but that can be hard work.

debbie.coombes
06-07-2006, 09:47 AM
I have found that the GPs tend to want locums that have been working here for some time over the years, and because they are not as expensive as some agencies. However, they have difficulties with the IT system and I have had some complaints about one in particular because of his manner (he has been practising for many years!). If you have to pay a little more to get a locum who is IT literate and will commit to some extent to your practice, then I'd say it's worth paying them a little more because the returns are much greater. (Speculate to accumulate!) :)

owain_thomas
06-07-2006, 05:12 PM
It very much depends on what a "day" means. some practices that's two 2-hour surgeries and one visit, others its two 3-hour sessions, several visits plus paperwork. hourly rates are a more useful comparison.