PDA

View Full Version : Drug reps

drananduk
13-11-2006, 11:54 AM
In my practice all the partners have stopped seeing Drug reps except one partner and the practice nurses . Now practice nurse is in the process of changinig some Glucose meters with the help of a Drug rep . Drug rep sees the pt on their own. I am not sure whether this is the right process . I raised the issue to be discussed further .

I got a feedback from the practice nurse that this might be helpful to improve our QOF and a feedback from practice manager mentioning that they sponser for the Educational courses for the Nurse and so on , otherwise it would cost the partners .

Does anyone has some suggestions / advice in this?

JulesUk
14-11-2006, 10:53 PM
we have held quite a few successful clinics within our practice, which have been sponsored by medical reps however, they normally employ a nurse to do all the work & review the patient's, they cannot offically change/alter any meds - only advise - this is then forwarded onto the GP for authorisation.

not sure about the drug rep actually seeing/reviewing the patient's though :confused: , have you had feedback from the GP's within the practice?

Gwyn
16-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I agree with Jules, I would be very uncomfortable about drug reps having direct contact with patient, even if they are not allowed to change drugs without the agreement of the GP they can still plant the seed into the patients head that their drug is the best. Our practice has had newspaper cuttings waved at reception more than once that contained information on a wonder drug that the patient wanted to self-prescribe, if this information was passed on by someone that is endorsed by the Practice it will be very hard to convince the patient they cannot have it. Reps are really useful for introducing and paying for Nurse led clinics but do not normally have any input or dealings with the patient.

Hope that helps