PDA

View Full Version : Charging patients privately....

SteveR
09-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi there, I wonder if somebody can point me in the right direction regarding this query.

In a nutshell I want to offer services to our patients (i.e. educational tutorials, alternative remedies and so forth which are not supplied or should be supplied by the NHS) where the patient basically pays a private fee.

Am I correct in understanding that I am NOT allowed to do this for patients on my own list?

Can I do this if I manage it using a seperate legal entity such as a Ltd. company?

Basically I need to find out what I can and cannot do with regards to a seperate commercial venture. Could anybody point me in the right direction?

Many thanks
Steve

cahall
28-11-2006, 11:20 AM
I believe that as long as the service is not funded by or provided on the NHS you can provide it to patients on your list and charge a fee for it.

Regards

Carol

Nursie
28-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Carol is right Steve. As long as it's not covered by GMS, or for those of us who've been around a bit longer, by the Red Book, it's ok to charge your own patients. Sounds like an interesting initiative. I'd be interested in hearing more about it if you wouldn't mind sharing. :cool:

Anne

SteveR
30-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Thanks for your replies - I had hoped this would be the answer. I have also enquired with my PCT who have stated that there are some guidelines somewhere and are trying to find them for me - I'll post if I get any info.

No worries with sharing anything we do - just not sure exactly what it is yet! I'm a new PM and am still getting my pieces in place but getting there.

Thanks
Steve

Jerry Cooke
30-11-2006, 06:59 PM
My wife's practice are considering selling a limited selection of over the counter seasonal medication. Her PM isn't sure about how they would go about this and I thought I'd help her to find out more. Does anyone else sell medication over the counter? would you be prepared to share your experiences?

Brigid Collinge
13-02-2007, 10:22 AM
The BMA have just updated their guidance in Jan 07 with the attached document.