View Full Version : Staff Problem

Monica Adjei
03-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi, I have just received an attachment of earnings order from the Croydon Council Tax Office for a member of staff. The amount the council is asking to be deducted from the member staff is more than what she earns.
:confused: First of all, where do we stand as a Practice in dealing with such an issue. Is this an issue for disciplinary? Can we advice the council that we would rather not get involve with staff personal issues such as this. Has anyone of you encountered this problem before and how did you deal with it?

04-10-2006, 09:41 AM
This is not a disciplinary matter between you and your member of staff if her work is not affected by her personal problems. Even then it's a sticky wicket to discipline anyone over as employers have to have investigated and sought to help a member of staff over thier problems. Obviously you cannot give the council money over and above what she earns. They will not be allowed to take more than a reasonable amount decided by the court. I believe that you do have to comply with a court order (is this one just from the council?)You need to speak to them. Maybe this member of staff has told them she earns more than she does, or maybe she has two jobs?

27-10-2006, 12:37 PM
You are obliged in law to make deductions from your employee's wages as per the Attachment order. It should have included a leaflet detailing how much you should deduct. It is normally a given percentage of the net pay.

02-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Hi I have had a similar situation. You are bound by law to pay attachment but it is usually a percentage of her salary and only after she has earned a set amount