PDA

View Full Version : Staff Holiday

Monica Adjei
13-02-2008, 02:25 PM
A request for advice

A member of staff booked her annual leave from 20th Dec 07 for 2 weeks. At the beginning of the leave, her daughter fell ill and was admitted to hospital. Their booked family holiday had to be cancelled. Now the member of staff is back from her a/l and she is asking for an extra week to compensate her for not being able to go on her holiday trip. I am at a loss as to how to deal with this as the member of staff has been with the practice for over 10 years.

Are we able to give her compassionate leave now when her daughter is well?

Gwyn
18-02-2008, 11:37 AM
This is a tricky one, if it had been the staff member who was hospitalised then it would have been simple. However it depends on your terms for special leave; we offer up to three days to organise the provision of care for a dependant if no leave has been prearranged and then it is not paid leave (this is at the GP's discretion depending on individual situation). Your staff member still had her two weeks off it is unfortunate that she had to cancel her holiday but not the fault of the Practice. As she has been with you ten years you could meet her half way with the three days but I don't think you are under any obligation to do so. I hope that helps a little, you could always call ACAS if you want to check you legal obligations.

Monica Adjei
21-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi Gwyn
Many thanks for the advice. The drs are happy to meet her half way.