PDA

View Full Version : Serious Staff Problem, Please Help

AJM
30-07-2007, 11:02 AM
6 months ago we brought in a new member of staff. We as a practice are notorious as not being the most welcoming of staff, and this staff member I believe has suffered.

Im convinced that her latest sickness absence is due to simply not wishing to be at her designated place of work, and whilst I have to say I am sympathetic to her case, the situation is now not being managed effectively by those who are responsible for it.

I have endeavoured to keep the practice partners out of this, but the staff member has indicated that she wishes to bring action under D and G, as well as bullying and harrassment, which in fairness I would support.

I have been pressurised into giving 'warnings' which I felt were not necessary and stood my ground, which has now alienated me. The words used against this staff member have been 'hatred', and Im of the opinion that people will simply not now work with her for whatever reasons.

In addition I am aware of one member of staff who has blatantly been checking up on this staff member's sickness, by seeing if she is at her other place of work ( she works part time elsewhere).

Where can I go with this, Ive made it clear that I dont support some things that are going on, but I am being pressurised into giving warnings, which are not justified, as well as being victimised in some ways for offering support.

Where do I go from here?

suze
31-07-2007, 09:40 AM
You need to take professional advice from acas or other body. If you have a practice solicitor or mentor service. Employment law is an absolute mine field. Tread very carefully!

Carabine
31-07-2007, 03:32 PM
You should NEVER give a warning if you do not feel it is justified.....you cannot support it at a tribunal if it goes that far.
Sounds as if you have huge problems within the practice i am unclear as to who is 'the boss' if you have been forced into giving a warning that you dont support.
Get the partner responsible for staff, sit down and have a chat and get clear roles defined.
Sounds as if you have got to sort this once and for all and not let the satff run the practice.....its hard but it will pay off in the long run.....if they leave get new staff....also divide them, give them less power.
Goog Luck but be careful, as Suze says get advice!!!

docarhamilton
01-08-2007, 01:21 PM
It's a terrible thing to have to admit that your practice is "not the most welcoming of staff" and you'd maybe better look carefully at why this is, who's responsible and how you can sort this out in the longer term.
If a partner insists on a warning being given and you disagree, then he or she can jolly well give that warning him/herself. As Practice Manager you have to be allowed to manage without interference. If they have a problem with that, then it's their job to open disciplinary proceedings against YOU, and they'd better be careful how they go about THAT!
It all sounds, unfortunately, as if things have got to a stage, with this menber of staff, where they are pretty well insoluble. How would the partners feel about offering her some sort of payoff to leave quietly and not take matters to a tribunal? Would she accept that? Having to make a payout like that (and make it generous, 6 months salary) might motivate the partners to look at the whole problem and find some longer term solutions. Failing that, let the whole thing go to a tribunal and see how much they award her!
Andrew.