PDA

View Full Version : Updating staff contract

amoss
17-07-2007, 02:31 PM
My receptionist needs to have her contract updated as it has not been touched since she joined. Employment legislation clauses are out of date eg; retiral age, maternity clause etc as well as hours and rate of pay. A staff handbook is mentioned in the original contract but I believe that the previous practice manager did not have one. Is it best practice to include that information within the contract to ensure that the staff member has a sgined declaration that she has the information? Is it worth sending a copy to MDU for assessment before giving to the receptionist? Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks

avezard
18-07-2007, 09:52 AM
To the best of my knowledge, having recently gone down the same road, you don't need to include the whole staff handbook in the contract, but you should make reference to same (naming key policies eg stress, sickness, discrimination etc) and make it a condition of signing contract that staff member will agree to read/be aware and be bound by it.

You also need to inform staff about proposed changes and secure their agreement to them by having a consultation period. This is vital as it's the law.

Hope this helps.

Jerry Cooke
25-07-2007, 01:52 PM
I Attach a temp;late I now use for our staff. Please feel free to edit it to suit your requirements.
I also attach our current handbook. Hope you might find this useful.

amoss
26-07-2007, 10:34 AM
The receptionist herself asked for an updated contract so I see it gives me the opportunity to present her with the handbook with her new contract.Thanks for your help

amoss
26-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Thank you for the information. It always helps to see what other practices produce as it can show up gaps in our own policies