PDA

View Full Version : Blood Test Results

Harmander
17-07-2007, 12:30 PM
I would appreciate if someone could give me an idea how to deal with this inundated task, how do you inform the patient of their results or if they need to see the doctor if it is abnormal. we do about 40/45 a week, and give them a slip to phone back in 10 days time, but they dont, the girls have this task of letters to send out for them to make appts and then check whether they have made one....so we decided to phone for the urgent but the others leave the onus on patients to ring....but feel it is a bit risky- what to do?

AJM
18-07-2007, 04:32 PM
This is not an area, where we have any problems, we have a recall letter system for abnormal results, and patients are informed when they ring in.

Jerry Cooke
25-07-2007, 01:46 PM
We have set up a number of actions, among them T.C.I. - Routine, and T.C.I. Urgent. The doctors put the action against the result and reception team pick them up twice a day. We have a rota in reception and this task is on the morning and afternoon rota. Whoever is on the rota phones the urgents that day, and completes the action once an appointment is made. The routines are dealt with when time permits. The results stay on the message system until the action is completed, so no-one gets missed.

Harmander
30-07-2007, 01:00 PM
:)Thanks Jerry for your assistance we will have to look at your system, but AJM we had tried that sending out mail for abnormal tests but for some reason weeks will go by and we would not hear from the patient , and found that it was too much work to keep looking for who had really called in from those letters we had sent out, do not know!!!! may be it is our patients. Thanks anyway.

suze
31-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Hi we use practice notes on our emis system and the doctor sends a practice note to the reception team. The receptionists then look at these on a daily basis and either ring the patient or look to see if they have appts already or send out a letter. This is then logged on the practice note which remains in the patients computerised record. Hope this helps.::confused:

Carabine
31-07-2007, 03:38 PM
We have a person dedicated to Actions on lab results on a daily basis with a Buddy for hols etc, they ring pts to make appointments for them.
We do the same for letters but this is handled through the actions on Docman from scanning.