PDA

View Full Version : Dismissel of staff during probationary period

1Stopdocshop
29-06-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm aware that personnel can be dismissed within a probationary period failing to meet performance standards etc, i.e. constant time of sick, having already spoken to the individual on 2 previos occasion (not a disciplinary) but a probationary performance reveiw and no improvemnt noticed, can I dismiss the individual for failing to meet there contractual obligation at the next performance review or do i need to go through a disciplinary and all 3 stages i.e. verbal, written, final and then dismissle? tuff one!:(

Gwyn
03-07-2007, 12:50 PM
I had to do this a couple of years ago, we had a receptionist that didn't like people! wouldn't smile, everything you asked her to do was a chore and despite a couple of friendly chats, motivational sessions I had to face it that she just didn't like people. I rang ACAS and they said that if the employee has been with you for less than 12 months (the probationary peiod doesn't really count for anything) you can let them go without fear of redress. I would ring them again to see if the rules have changed they are most helpful.
Regards