PDA

View Full Version : Sick or not sick

AJM
29-05-2007, 05:29 PM
One of our staff members recently submitted a sick note for 6/52 after an operation. I was surprised therefore to see her at work today. The practice does have its own sickness policy, similar to other practices, but if she is presenting for work on days were she wishes to do so, am I right to expect her to return to her weekly duties as pr normal. Any other issues to consider here?

Gwyn
05-06-2007, 02:05 PM
My first thought with this was if she has a sick note then she should only return to work when her care provider has deemed her fit for duties; be it the hospital or her own GP. Is she covered by your employee liability insurance if the hospital have said she is not fit for her duties? I consider a sicknote a legal document saying that the employee is not fit to perform so it is a bit risky from a health and safety point if she is taken ill at work. If you need any confirmation though ACAS 08457 474747 are usually very helpful with such queries.

Regards

1Stopdocshop
19-06-2007, 03:43 PM
If an employee returns to work prior to any sicknote running out, you shouldn't allow them back as they are a liability if the are taken ill. as the last post suggests they must be signed off sick by who ever issued the original note, if however it was secondary care then the employees own GP can issue a sign off note follow discussion with them. ;) a commendation to your employee for turning in, most of mine would take it to the limit lol!!!