PDA

View Full Version : Staff Problem

Nita
11-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi This is a silly problem but I am at my wits end with bickering staff. I have just returned from holiday to find the reception manager and secretary at each other throats. We are based in central Birkenhead and many people attempt to use our car park for shopping etc. It is common practice for members of staff to approach parked cars and ask if they are visiting the centre. It appears that the Reception Manager approached the secretary's mother and sister but after being told who they were, said 'ok'. The secretary claims that her mother and sister were approaced in an aggressive manner whilst the reception manager said that she merely asked and that the sister was aggressive. Both are demanding an apology from the other and there were no witnesses. I have interviewed both members of staff and stated that this has blown upout of all proportion but both are adament. How would you dealwith this one.

Nita:eek: :

stressman
11-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Very difficult for anyone to give good advice, Your own gut instinct is probanly best, as you know your staff.

Is it likely or unlikely that the Rec Mgr was agressive? If it is probable that she was agressive you can suggest that even though she does not think she was, maybe it came across badly and she should apologise so that everyone can move on. If it was highly unlikely that she was agressive, maybe you could suggest to the Sec that maybe the ladies overreacted and that an apology is not necessary.

If she refuses (or that was not the case) you really need to speak to both staff members together and tell them that their behaviour is bad for morale and upsetting the remaining staff and that they need to forget about it and be civil to one another or you might be obliged to invoke the Disciplinary Procedure.
Regards

Jerry Cooke
11-09-2006, 03:54 PM
I think Stressman's reply is the right way. In addition, you should bear in mind that the car park is for patient's use and if the secretary's mother and sister were not visiting the centre, then they shouldn't have been in the car park in the first place!:confused:

hina
15-09-2006, 11:53 AM
we've had a similar situation (but wasn't over parking fortunately :D ) but as it eventually seems to be a personal tussle between the two, and nothing related to work or their employment as such, then there's only so much you can do to mediate. you've done your bit, you've interviewed and recorded it. now all you need to do is give them both a general warning or a letter to tell them both that you are unable to come to a conclusion at who's at fault and who isn't. the issue shouldn't interfere with work ever again. its between them to sort it out (in different words of course!). trust me, it works! ;)

ShelliF
19-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Staff matters in general do tend to cause the most disruption to a working day in amongst all the other things that need to be done!

I agree with Stressman and Hina, there is no more you can do and if they cannot sort out their differences then perhaps suggesting that "employment with the practice is not compulsory", may focus the mind!