PDA

View Full Version : Staff Problem

Nita
11-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Hi This is a silly problem but I am at my wits end with bickering staff. I have just returned from holiday to find the reception manager and secretary at each other throats. We are basedin central Birkenhead and many people attempt touse our car park for shopping etc. It is common practice for members of staff to approach parked cars and ask if they are visiting the centre. It appears that the Reception Manager approached the secretary's mother and sister but after being told who they were, said 'ok'. The secretary claims that her mother and sister were approaced in an aggressive manner whilst the reception manager said that she merely asked and that the sister was aggressive. Both are demanding an apology from the other and there were no witnesses. I have interviewed both members of staff and stated that this has blown upout of all proportion but both are adament. How would you dealwith this one.

Nita:eek: :

pamattree
04-10-2006, 09:58 AM
You could try to remove the car park problem by being more strict. Threaten clamping to anyone not visiting the practice - no exceptions. It sounds like this is also a personality problem. They probably were looking for something to fall out about. If you suspect that there's something at the root of it you need to know, things like this upset the equilibrium of the workplace and affect all the staff. Don't be afraid to follow ACAS suggested procedures for discipline and grievance - make sure yours are up to date and follow them to the letter. Let them know who's boss! If you don't want to go down this route a curt word from a GP might just help along the lines of "if you've got time to fall out with each other then you obviously haven't got enough work to do". That quite often hits the spot here. Try and build the team with some training or even better a social event. The barriers need breaking down otherwise this will fester

StuartAbbott
11-12-2006, 04:43 PM
perhaps I am being too simplistic here or missing the point, but what about telling them to act like like the mature grown up people they are supposed to be instead of bickering over a he says she says tittle tattle issue.