PDA

View Full Version : Advantages and Disadvantages of the Small Practice

Julie.howgate
03-05-2007, 11:12 AM
I have always worked in larger practices of 8 partners plus, but have the opportunity of joining a much smaller practice.
Can any of you share with me what are the advantages and disadvantages of running a small practice. And some tips on how to increase your patient list size.

Any comments greatley appreciated

AJM
08-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Personally would like to do the same, but how small is small?. What I have found extremely difficult is managing a 2 site practice, Ive never quite felt in control, and have never quite got both practices working to the same rules and regulations. Patient profiles and expectations differ, and that has proved a tough and somewhat unrewarding challenge, so that's one thing Im not going to do again.

I used to think having started in a single handed practice, that it was progression to move up to larger practices, but its more about achievement under the contract than aspiring to the needs of individual partners, that in a large practice is difficult as well.

A smaller team is just as likely to achieve as a bigger one, in fact I would say the chances are higher, not all partners in big practices 'play a full role', particularly in QOF, new contract etc, etc, and then there is the salary, smaller practices do not pay the same level of salary, and this is something I personally would have to take into consideration.

paulinec
11-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I work in a two man practice with 3200 patients and enjoy the friendly team
spirit. As both my GP'S are very nice to work for it helps, we do well with our QOF as being small we can monitor our achievement.It all depends on how ambitious you are and what rewards you want.