PDA

View Full Version : Staff Pay Rise

Nursie
02-04-2007, 10:02 AM
I attach a letter I recently sent to Andy Kerr MSP, who is the Health Minister here in Scotland. I wonder if any of you guys south of the border would be wanting to send something similar to your Health Minister :)

docarhamilton
02-04-2007, 01:13 PM
This is spot on! I'm afraid my staff won't be getting a pay rise this year unless the money for it appears from the Health Board. Last year they got a 3.225% increase against a background of no extra money coming in apart from the promise (so far not realised) of some extra QOF money. Over the past year the practice finances have been rocky to say the least and my own takings have dropped.
How the GPC negotiators let that one through is anybody's guess, but this year they've got a mandate to dig their heels in and not accept a zero award. This will probably mean some sort of "standoff" with the Departments of Health with us being accused of putting our inflated salaries before patients and us threatening some sort of action.
Short of sacking a member of staff there are NO actions I can take to reduce costs here in a small, single-handed practice in a remote area (Shetland). Inflation means costs are increasing and with no more money, I'll be taking a pay cut even without increasing my staff's pay.
We just have to hope that our negotiating team have the bottle to hold out for a fair deal.
Andrew Hamilton, Unst, Shetland.

Nursie
02-04-2007, 03:05 PM
So you're not earning 105,000/year then?!! ;)
Seriously thinking of sending the letter to the Scottish Sunday rags but I guess they would just use it some way to bash Primary Care. Good luck to you and your team.

docarhamilton
03-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Wish I was!!! I don't know anyone who is here in Shetland!
Andrew.