PDA

View Full Version : appraisals

JulieHammond
14-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Staff Appraisals

in our practice to date we have undertaken these with the practice manager performing all of the necessary work. being a new PM I would appreciate sone advice, essentially, who should do what?:
A) Reception and Admin staff
appraised by the Practice Manager
B) Practice Nurses - appraised by a Doctor. but should this be for clinical areas or for the whole aspect of non-clinical as well? does a PM get involved?
C) Phlebotomist to be appraised by the practice nurse and PM or a doctor as most of the work is clinical. Ours does some QOF work as well.
D) Practice Manager to be appraised by a doctor.

On method could be for the PM to take instruction from the Doctors ( quote) and perform all appraisels herself. How do other practices approach this? This is what I would prefer as timing all the appraisals with all the different appraissers/ appraisees is time consuming, and lends itself to some confusion.

Deborah McBeal
10-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi Julie, in our practice the PM appraises all the staff but with assistance from GP for nurses, nurse for HCA, assistant PM for some junior staff. I hope this helps. Deborah

idaellwood
10-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Hi Julie, our appraisal system works for us. I do the admin appraisals (very basic and simple) together with the GP responsible for staff. The nurses this year are adopting the GP appraisal format, and will be appraised by one of the GPs, (not necessarily (sp?) the same one), and I will sit in for admin and any other feedback. One of the practice nurses has asked for the Nurse Practitioner to sit in also at her appraisal. HCAs are adopting the GP appraisal too. My appraisal will be done by the GP responsible for staff.

Jerry Cooke
11-09-2006, 04:07 PM
I do all reception staff, PNs and phlebotomist are done by a doctor, and one of my fellow PMs and I completed a peer review last year, and this year we have extended this to a further 2 PMs. Works really well, as only a PM can really appreciate what the job entails.

Once the appraisals have been done, I circulate copies of the completed appraisal forms to all the partners. All staff have the opportunity to a meeting with one of the partners if they wish.

Pip
06-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi Julie

Appraisals are as follows at our surgery

Receptionists and Secretary are appraised by the practice manager and a doctor. The Practices Nurses are appraised by the practice manager and doctor and the Practice Manager is appraised by 2 doctors. Seems to work well.

everythingandeverything
11-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Staff appraisals are very important, I find its really hard to appraise staff where the manager has little direct day to day contact with the staff member. We are a large surgery, I have seniors that report to me, my seniors perform appraisals on their staff and I sit in the odd appraisal to audit the appraiser. I appraise the seniors. I also perform several skip level interviews from time to time just to ensure that the staff are being managed by their seniors correctly. I do monitor performance issues and I am always ready to contribute towards any staff appraisal. Its delegation with control.

I sit in and contribute towards the PN appraisals and contribute towards assistants appraisals.

I hope that helps.