PDA

View Full Version : threatening behaviour by patients

MAGGIE
15-03-2007, 01:36 PM
we recently had a nasty situation in surgery with myself (PM)male patient with wife very abusive and threatening had to call police.Taken off list through right chanells with health authority on zero tolerance Couple wrote complaint to HA with pack of lies saying I had sworn and refused them emergency appointment wich I repeatedly offered them and have been manager many years never once sworn at a patient I sent them reply and copy to HA had email today saying to ring them wanted to talk to me.They aske why we took wife off told them she was verbaly abusive they wanted Dr to email them a reply back as it was me the complaint about. Dr took phonecall in my office so I know what he said to HA.They told him to email them saying to let health authorty put family with local Dr or our name will be going in news paper.Dr of course dosn't want that so he emailed back with answer they wanted..When I confronted him he said well Dr's and HA got to cover their backs I asked who was covering ours SUPPRISE SUPPRISE NO
ANSWER! how many other surgerys have this problem.We feel we have no support from our gutless GP (sorry but am really angry at present)
surely our employers have got to make sure their staff are safe in their working enviroment if we do not have the backing and support from our employers then where do we stand!!!!!!

Gwyn
16-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Hi Maggie

What an awful experience I bet the tills at Asda have never been so appealing!! We had a similar experience not with an aggressive patient but one who felt it was ok to regularly call the receptionist fat and the nurse incompetant. After lots of warnings I removed him from the list, he asked to see the GP who said he was sorry he was being removed but the Manager made those sort of decisions. The girls thought the GP should have been angry at the abuse they had received but he did not request that we take the chap back on which was something. I'd certainly take issue with your GP, the role of PM means constantly watching the backs of the GP's we work for yours obviously does not appreciate this; he/she has let you down. I'd find it hard to work for them with the same loyalty.

Jerry Cooke
16-03-2007, 04:21 PM
This type of behaviour is intolerable! (I mean that of the GP). You really need to think about whether you really want to work for such a gutless person.

Nita
19-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Poor Maggie what an awful experience. Not only abused by those you were trying to help but not supported by the one person you should be able to turn to. I am lucky in that the GP's here are very supportive and have spoken to patients about being rude to staff before I even hear about it. Nita

docarhamilton
19-03-2007, 03:33 PM
As a GP myself I am appalled and ashamed that you recieved no support from yours. I have a zero tolerance policy to abuse of my staff, and would always back them to the hilt. To have the HA try to have me back down and water down my action would have ME ringing the newspapers to complain about their bullying! What a nerve!!!
I also agree very strongly with the other posts, that you need to have this out with the GP involved or this is going to sour your relationship with him forever. I'd expect him to think very carefully about how he's let you down, apologise, and then find himself a bit of backbone.
Andrew.

avezard
21-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Apart from anything else, your GP should be advised that you as PM would have a strong case for constructive dismissal if he/she acts in this way.

Then it would hit in the pocket-maybe they would take notice then!

Carabine
22-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi Maggie
Not much to add to all the other comments except that YES you were right to act as you did and I would now want someone at HA to explain their actions too! Where is the support they so often pat themselves on the back for?
I cant imagine how you can rebuild your relationship with your GP!!!!!! perhaps show him the post from a fellow GP.....Well Done Andrew for standing up and being counted.

One last thing do you have any witnesses? if so get statements and draw up your own detailed one now.

Well done for not getting arrested for assault.....of GP

Caraine

stressman
27-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Tell your doctor that since he will not back up you or your judgement, that next time there is a complaint or abusive patient that he must deal with it. It is a disgrace that you cannot depend on your dioc when you have done nothing wrong.

John Ritchie
03-04-2007, 01:19 PM
I would point out to your doctor AND the idiot at the HA that there is a ZERO TOLERANCE on violence towards NHS staff [I know strictly speaking we're not, but we certainly follow that policy].

No question - you were entirely right to remove them from your list. I would also have put them on the violent patient register - see how they like having their treatment at a police station not of their chosing, by a police doctor, supervised by police officers. You can't let them get away with it.

Sound advice to confront the GP and let him know just what you expect and, indeed, are ENTITLED to by way of support.

davebergie
03-04-2007, 09:12 PM
So many GPs do not realise that as leaders of their practices / businesses they need to stand up and be counted or lose respect. Pretty basic, really.

David (GP)