PDA

View Full Version : Pay Rise???

Simon Neil
10-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi all

I was looking to get some feedback from practices on whether or not they have given pay rises this year. I know speaking to other practices in the area some are giving 2.25% other a bit more, some are not giving any as yet as there has been no uplift.

What boat are you lot in?

I'm trying to get some ideas.

Whilst on with this.....have any of you adopted agenda for change?????

If you do not want to reply on the forum incase someone see's it who you dont want then please private message me or email me.

Cheers

Serena Allan
11-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi Simon

This has come up a fair amount lately - understandably. Yes - I heard something about 2.5%. No uplift is a bit rubbish :( , but we just took a view about our staff and their value to us. We've not adopted Agenda for Change, but nevertheless looked into acceptable pay scales (found one on the internet, another from PCT HR dept). The upshot - we've given our girls 5 - 6 % rises. Guess it'll come down to the partners' attitudes to such business expenses....

Kind regards

Serena

Janeking
12-07-2006, 12:04 PM
we try to b a little selective in the way we structure pay rises. generally we fix a basic level, which this year was 2.5% which we give to everyone. Then on top of this we add other rises for specific members of staff. For instance one member has just completed a dispensing btec, so her rise is 12.5%, as was agreed before she started the course. we have an admin who works on the QOF, and although not agreed prior to her starting the work, we have awarded her 6%.

mpgrant
13-07-2006, 10:18 AM
We also gave a 2.5% rise this year (in line with RPI). We have not adopted everything in AfC, but last year we did look at the main points (hours, pay, leave etc) and made a few changes so that we would be 'competitive' with any other practices - which meant some staff getting quite considerable pay rises last year! :)

Bottom line is that it depends on how much the partners are prepared to pay. It may not be too much of an issue at present, but as more practices look at AfC and make a few changes you may find it difficult to retain & recruit staff (especially nurses that may well want to get involved in the KSF)

cahall
18-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Last year we gave our staff half of the extra holidy entitlement with agenda for change. This year we have assimilated everyone onto the nearest AFC band and applied the full holiday entitlement.

Frances
10-08-2006, 11:17 AM
We gave a 2.5% payrise to all staff and Afc annual leave entitlements but not formally adopting Afc (yet!).

idaellwood
10-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi, just joined the site today. We gave our staff the 2.25%pay rise back in May backdated to April for all admin staff. With regard to AfC, our nurses are the only ones who have looked in to AfC, but the GPs are not going down that road, at least not fully. We have adopted part of the AfC payscale band 6, for the old G grade, which goes higher, but our HCAs are already on the old C grade so to put them on AfC would lower their salary. We are not adopting the AfC holiday policy. The GPs only get 6 weeks, why should nurses get more???? Ours feel they are treated very well anyway so hopefully will stay!

MikeSmalley
15-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Can't afford to even think about Agenda for Change
this year recognised staff efforts (esp in QOF) by giving increase slightly over 3% - can't afford to loose them to neighbouring practices - for the dsame treason the Practice Nurses were given (non-contractual)bonuses unfortunately no uplift in Staffing costs from PCT for 2+ years

Tracey Wilson
21-08-2006, 11:52 AM
We gave all of staff the col rise at 2.5% plus a few that had done some extra work and they were given more.
Also it was agreed this year that we would adopt the afc annual leave BUT we have phased in the extra over 4 years so that it is not too much of a hit at once

Carys Williams
22-08-2006, 12:39 PM
We gave everyone 2.5% pay rise dated back to April, and 2 extra days holiday to which the AFC stated, and then wait for one practice in Gwynedd to finish the banding and go on from there.

Carys Williams
22-08-2006, 02:01 PM
What do other practices do with regards to staff training days? We are in a rural area and the nearest training venue could be around 20 miles away.If the training is during the morning,should i expect the staff back to work or not, during the afternoon i can say no, the time is their own after, but most sessions don't finish till about 4-4.30pm anyway,and then we will have a goood hour-hour and a half of travelling back.

MAGGIE
31-08-2006, 12:26 PM
we have had a lot of problems on this matter this year.Dr decided not to give anyone a rise this year as he did'nt feel he made enough PROFIT!!! I have worked here for 15 years and i am completley disgusted with this situation.After a lot of talks (with much raised voices) he agreed to give some of the staff a 2.5% rise with the rest of us going without as he thinks we earn too much.what a joke and although we are short of staff due to maternity leave he still expects the work to reach QOF expectations.

Victoria44
31-08-2006, 12:52 PM
To my mind it is often expected that staff should work extra hard and extra hours for no extra benefits, but would a doctor do this?! We negotiated a 2.5% cost of living rise for staff this year (we tend to stay in line with the local PCT) and further to this also an extra weeks holiday in recognition of the work staff do to gain us great results in QOF.

Rose Allan
21-09-2006, 04:48 PM
We gave our staff 2% increase commencing 1.7.2006.

pamattree
04-10-2006, 09:35 AM
We have given 'cost of living' rise of 2.5% this year. We have not as yet given a points bonus as we did last year. We have decided that this year this will be given on merit. Haven't gone AFG as some of our staff would actually lose money. It's the holiday implication that is so unfair with AFG. this can create a huge bill for small businesses like GP practices. We have always paid fairly generously compared with neighbouring practices but will watch to see how AFG creeps into Primary Care - we certainly don't have to follow it in Wales at the moment.

jenny.manley
10-07-2007, 09:57 AM
All staff were given 2.5% rise from 1/4/07. The AfC is a bit of a hot potato. Nurses want it but other staff hesitant as they don't know much about it and there isn't really anything in stone for GP practices.

Jackie Lydford
31-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi all

I was looking to get some feedback from practices on whether or not they have given pay rises this year. I know speaking to other practices in the area some are giving 2.25% other a bit more, some are not giving any as yet as there has been no uplift.

What boat are you lot in?

I'm trying to get some ideas.

Whilst on with this.....have any of you adopted agenda for change?????

If you do not want to reply on the forum incase someone see's it who you dont want then please private message me or email me.

Cheers

We are obviously a mean lot round here! as a dispensing practice that had to register for VAT last year we took an enormous hit on profits. Consequently we have given a 1.5% rise. We did consider no rise but felt this to be unfair to our loyal staff.

amoss
31-07-2007, 09:32 AM
We awarded a 2.5% rise across the board.
As a small rural practice we could not afford to adopt AfC and indeed at a seminar practices were advised against adopting it as it is designed for a large organisation and is too inflexible for practices. We would have extreme difficulties in covering extended holidays & potential sick leave entitilements. One local practice did adopt it under pressure from practice nurses & it has become a major headache for them. We did also review our salaries at ehe end of last year as we had fallen behind the general local levels for manager/dispenser & reception.

docarhamilton
01-08-2007, 12:47 PM
There's currently no funding here for AfC in Primary Care, so there's been no point in even assessing our staff for this. The Health Board have shown no sign of allowing us an extra allocation of cash for this and we don't know when it might happen if at all.
I've been unable to give any increase to my staff so far this year, since practice income has actually been reduced, with the abolition of the DESs we did last year. They've said that there'll be more money coming our way once we've agreed new DESs but, again, no idea of when or how much. I've promised my staff they'll get their increase, backdated, as soon as we get the extra money, but most of the Shetland practices, being very small, and having no chance of reducing costs in any way, are struggling financially.
If things don't improve I see no future for myself here. If I can earn as much working 9-5, Monday to Friday in a mainland practice as I do currently, obliged to provide 24/7 cover and do a load of Practice Management stuff myself, then why should I carry on here?
Andrew. Unst in Shetland.