PDA

View Full Version : Probation Peroid

RMcArthur
12-12-2006, 09:56 AM
I have a new member of staff (started September 06) whom I have concerns about 1 - her ability to the job (lots of mistakes) and 2 - her sickness absence rate. I have recently conducted a performance appraisal/review with this member of staff and agreed objectives to be achieved by the end of her 6 month probationary period. We have also requested a medical report for her GP.

Having taken legal advise it seems like there is little point in having a probationary period? :confused: Has anyone successfully dismissed an employee during a probationary period?

paula sterling-stead
12-12-2006, 10:11 AM
yes. It seems very similar. However call you local LMC they will give you proper guidance on procedure.

Ritt_mickley
19-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Yes, just recently with very similar circumstances. There shouldn't be a problem generally, providing you have maintained documentary evidence of the issues that are causing the problems, and that whatever action you have taken has been reasonable. I took advice on the procedure to be followed in terms of not confirming the appointment.

RMcArthur
19-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks to everyone for their advice and taking the time to reply.:)