PDA

View Full Version : Management CostS

Nick Keyte
06-07-2006, 09:16 AM
Whose PCT are paying management costs for the work being done for PBC in in Primary Care. If so how much, under what system (enhanced service etc) and in which mannor (monthly, six monthly etc)

garyrogers
06-07-2006, 09:53 AM
In Great Yarmouth there is a PBC Group and the final part of the PBCpayment for 05/06 has been used collectively. Its all pretty confusing as the group is in a steep learning curve. There are incentive payments ( 95p/pt) for both components 1 and 2 ( early preparation and final payment) for 06/07 and I am not clear whether these will be paid collectively, or all or a proportion will devolve down to individual practices. The money is classified as a DES, the spec of which is to encourage commissioning.

Sue Brookes
08-08-2006, 12:34 PM
In South Western Staffs there are 2 locality groups. In 2005/6 the PCT gave each group around 15k towards set up costs. No further money forthcoming for 2006/7 so our locality (Seisdon Peninsula) has decided that each member practice contributes 55p per patient (mainly taken from prescribing incentive scheme monies). This is just a short term measure for now whilst the dust settles with PCT reconfigurations. We are still really at the "watch this space" stage.

Ed_H
29-09-2006, 09:02 AM
I have to say that after being involved with PBC for over a year my opinion is that it is not a practical solution to improving pathways of care or reducing secondary care costs.
It is very bureaucratic, slow and unwieldy. The small improvements made are not worth the huge amount of effort and cost. There is little evidence that primary care will be able to provide a better and more effective service.
It also seems that practice managers are being asked to be part time commissioners, a job that requires a great deal of expertise and experience.
Perhaps I have become too cynical but the whole thing looks like bubble wrap. That is, something to occupy us all while the DoH brings in the private companies.
A better strategy for practices is to band together and become larger organisations able to compete with the private companies and to deliver a better service to patients.

Gordon
29-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Totally agree with you Ed the key I feel is if practices can band together(something strangely enough that seems difficult)you become a greater force to reckon with, I belong to a consortium of 14 practices,lumped the whole Des money together and hired a Gp and commissioning manager a few days a week, it does seem slow and sluggish at times bvut we can only wait and see.

Lynn J
09-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Whose PCT are paying management costs for the work being done for PBC in in Primary Care. If so how much, under what system (enhanced service etc) and in which mannor (monthly, six monthly etc)
Hi, we are in a Consortium and have negotiated a LES for Commissioning which means half the 95p per patient goes to Practice and the other half has come to the Exec steering group for management costs. We can therefore pay the members who lead in different clinical areas and we are in the process of recruiting a manager. Not sure where the funding will come from next April, though I am sure if they want PBC to work some funding will follow?

John Holmes
14-12-2006, 12:32 PM
Our LMC say do not give up any money from the DES as this is for developing the written Plan not initiating the various threads where you might see Patient outcome improvements. Having said that we are still trying to gain Management time/support from the reconfigured PCT to start moving PBC forward